Creagan to Dalnatrat

Posted by Will Allan | Posted in | Posted on 21:38

Todays virtual cycle will take me from Creagan, around the Appin coast to Dalnatrat. This is my destination for three reasons, first it is about half way to Ballachulish, second it's about the right distance away for my current fitness level, and third it takes us over the border from Argyll and Bute into the Highlands.

Heading out from Creagan I'm taking a steady pace but fair pace. The past two days I've really pushed hard, but my legs are a bit sore and I want to give them an easier day today.

Creagan to Dalnatrat is 13.6km and the road closely follows the route of the old Caledonian Railway line which Creagan station once served. My first 4km are through the Strath of Appin to the Appin village. Here I pass the turn off which leads to Port Appin from where a ferry crosses to Lismore (offically ranked in the 2001 census as the Scottish Island with the oldest population).


©Gil Cavalcanti
Creative Commons License
I follow the road past Appin Village until I reach Loch Laich and the village of Portnacroish. From here the stunning view of Castle Stalker can be seen on an islet in the Loch. The name Stalker is derived from the Gaelic "Stalcaire" meaning Hunter or Falconer and appeared in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (as Castle Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!)

Built around 1320 by the Lords of Lorn, the castle has been held by a number of Clans, passing from MacDougall to Stewart to Campbell (the result of a drunken bet) and then in 1908 it was sold back to a Stewart. The castle has now been fully restored and is now a private residence.

After a short break to take in the view, I ride North until I pass the Sound of Shuna over which I see the Island of Shuna. Shuna is known as one of the Slate Islands (along with Seil, Easdale, Luing, Lunga, Shuna, Torsa and Belnahua), this title is a reference to their underlying geology of Dalradian slate. The island has a pretend castle, built in 1911 but which is now in a state of disrepair.

Farther on I pass Appin House, the remaining section of an 18th century mansion before making the final push to cover the final 6km, passing into the Higlands to reach Dalnatrat.

Today I've covered 13.6km around Appin. Tomorrow I'm headed for Ballachulish

Comments (0)

Post a Comment

Hey, I love hearing all your comments. Let me know if I'm due to virtually cycle through your town and I'll drop by for a virtual cup on my travels.