Benderloch to Creagan

Posted by Will Allan | Posted in | Posted on 20:43

Today I'll be riding from Benderloch to Creagan. It's a slightly shorter ride than yesterday being just 11.8km but my legs are still tired so I reckon that's far enough.

Before setting off, I've decided to visit one last memory of my childhood trips to Benderloch. When staying in my Uncle's carvan, I was always enchanted by a mysterious tower which sat on top of the hill side in the distance across the bay. I would sit and wonder what it was and who lived there. The tower had something magical about it and I imagined wizards and kings, dragons and ogres and the occasional long haired Princess. I vowed that one day I would climb up and see the tower close up (and rescue the Princess maybe?) but alas I've yet to do so.

Lady Margaret's Tower by John McLuckie
©John McLuckie
Creative Commons Licence.
On my visit to Benderloch earlier this year I saw the tower once again. Lady Margaret's Tower (as I now know it is called) sits the ridge of Garbh-aird to the west of Ardmucknish bay on the Lochnell estate. Unfortuately I've not been able to find any more information than this so if you know more about the tower, I'd love to hear from you.

It's time to set off once again and I do so with trepidation. My legs still hurt after yesterday's ride from Oban, but worse than that, my poor buttocks are pretty saddle sore.

Heading out of Benderloch I follow the A828 Northbound and pass through the villiage of Rhugarbh and head on towards Barcaldine. Here I pass the "Scottish Sea Life Sanctuary". I've visited here before and plan to take my children at some point. This is not only an excellent day out for the family but does amazing work particularly with their seal rescues. This work has been going on since 1980 and in that time dozens of seals have been rescued and subsequently released back into the wild.

Barcaldine itself boasts Barcaldine Castle, and Barcaldine House. The latter of these is a swanky hotel which really does look like a wonderful (but a bit pricey for me) place to stay. The castle is a ruin and dates from the 15th century.

We recently stayed in a wonderful campsite in Barcaldine. The site itself is situated within a 20 foot high walled garden which was built for Barcaldine House. The gardens originally housed huge heated glass houses with vines where peaches, pineapples, nectarines and other exotic fruits were grown.

Today the site is somewhat less exotic but is an excellent Camping and Caravan Club site which is a sun trap in high season and is shielded from the elements in low season.

Just outwith the walled garden lies Sutherland's Grove. Here a collection of huge fir trees can be found and some of the best forest walks I've ever discovered.

Pushing on from Barcaldine and I'm getting really tired. I've come 6.9km so far, and I push on for the last 5km until I finally reach South Creagan. By now I'm exhausted yet still going strong. A shower is definately required but I'm nearly done, so I ride over the newly built (£4million) Creagan bridge across the narrows of Loch Creran into North Creagan and I'm at my destination for the day.

Creagan Station by Alan Partridge
©Alan Partridge
Creative Commons Licence.

Creagan is best known for it's now closed railway staion. Once on the Oban to Ballachulish line (which closed in the 1960s) the railway station is the only one remaining on the old route. The building has recently been renovated.

I'm done for today. Benderloch to Creagan, 11.8km and I'm knackered. I need to push on tomorrow if I'm to make Ballachulish by Friday but for now it's time for a long cold drink and a lie down.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment

Hey, I love hearing all your comments. Let me know if I'm due to virtually cycle through your town and I'll drop by for a virtual cup on my travels.